Porth y Pistyll ( Trwyn Dwmi.)
Twyn Dwmi is situated at the western end of Aberdaron
bay, half way between the beach and Pen y Cil. The stone jetty can still be
seen, at the bottom of the steep cliff.
Work started at Porth y Pistyll or Trwyn Dwmi Works as
it is known locally in 1907 Hugh Evans, Ty Canol, Galltraeth was the manager. In
1908 stone was quarried at Graig y Cwlwm, under the management of Mr Mercer from
The rock was granite and they were cut into various
shapes or sets they were used predominantly for paving streets and
thoroughfares. Eight or more houses
were to built on Rhos Bodermyd Isaf with the stones from the quarry, and
foundations for six were laid, but only two were built and such was the skill
and craftsmanship used in their construction that they remain in near perfect
condition well over ninety years later.
It was also intended to build a shop and chapel at the
same time. Another reminder of their skill as stonemasons can be seen in Porth
Pistyll where a bollard was made to tie the ships up when they came to load
cargo. The bollard was carved out of the natural stone.
Two little harbours were constructed where the ships
could tie up and load cargo. The biggest problem was keeping the harbour clear
as the sea would bring back the stones from where they had been cleared. A
railway was constructed in the shape of a bow, there was a steam engine known as
a ‘steam crane’ that was used to raise and lower stones and goods to and
from the quarry. It was rather a difficult place for the workmen to get to as
the cliff was so steep, they would walk part of the way down, then use ladders
to get to the bottom.
After the initial period of working the quarry it closed
down for a time, but quite when we’re not sure, but it was re-opened in the
mid thirties under the management of Mr Jackson, but according to some of the
workers no sets were sold at this time. So much effort and resources were put
into the quarry to prepare for production that the company became bankrupt, but
there are a few fireplaces in Llyn that are decorated with the beautiful granite
sets to be had from this quarry.
About 45 people worked at the quarry here are the names
of a few of them:-
Emmanuel Jones, Tyn
William Jones, Tan Gofer (miner)
William Jones, Tan Garn.
Evan Jones, Pig y Parc.
William Jones, Dolfor.
Humphrey Williams, Plas Coch (carpenter)
Griffith Evans, Dynfra.
Robert Evans, Dynfra ( he was killed during a rockfall)
Catrin Jones, Tyn Gamdde.
Robat Parry, Bryn Goronwy.
Love Pritchard, Talcen Foel.
Huw Williams, Tyn Mynydd.
John Lewis Roberts, Bryncanaid.
John Kidd, Pentre’r Felin.
Huw Erith Williams, Brynchwilog.
Robin, Morfa Nefyn, (smithy0
Eban Jones, Tyn Ffrydiau, Garn Fadryn.
Richard Roberts, Brynawelon.
John Jones, Terfyn.
Robat Thomas, Pwllheli.
Ifan (Trwyndwmi) Llanaelhaearn.
There are a variety of metals to be found in the rocks around Aberdaron. At Nant Dwyros there are rocks that are multicoloured and are a type of quartz. These strata were worked for a time where Afon Saint flows into the sea and a jetty was built out of wood to accommodate the ships, but it was never used.
"Nant Dwyros Jetty"
At Porth Felen there’s jasper, limestone on Mynydd Mawr and jasper at Llanllawen. On Anelog near Ogof Meurig copper can be found and it was worked for a time during 1912 – 1913. Jasper from Mynydd Carreg was also worked and taken to London.
The Carreg Plas Jasper. ( From Stone Trade Journal circa
This site was discovered by Captain Trevethan, and he
says “There is no doubt that the supply of jasper is inexhaustible, and the
removal of some 100 tons per week would make little difference there, here in
North Wales we are able to obtain what quantity we like. There should be no
difficulty in getting a solid block of good stone of about 50 tons in weight”.
He goes on “ The colour of the stone is very fine, and when we first visited
the spot we found the prevailing hue was cherry red, with verigated pieces. The
specimens that we have already cut and polished show a fine grain, take a high
polish, and cannot be affected by acids. In fact, I submitted a sample to a
lapidary as marble, and to use his own words, he put enough acid on it to eat it
up, but it was not affected in the least. It is said that the supply of jasper
at present comes from India and Egypt, but I hope, for the sake of the
Principality, that in the near future Wales have its share of the patronage for
this stone now bestowed elsewhere”.
If the market value could be found as is recorded but
sixty years ago, of a piece of polished jasper, two inches square, being sold
for £60 --- this would be a find indeed.
Wales is once again to the fore; the little Principality
is again to put forth her mineral wealth for the benefit of the world.
Copyright © Rhiw.com