The Schooner Jane and Ellen built
Schooner tonnage 111, Built by Richard Davies,
William Parry Master, Nefyn.
Surveying Officer Mr James at Porthdinllaen, one
deck, Two masts.
Her length from inner part of the main stern to
the fore part of the stern aloft is 28ft, breadth midship is 18ft two
tenths. Depth in the hold mid ship is 10ft eight tenths.
Figurehead Bust of a woman.
William Parry of the parish of Nevin in the County
of Caernarfom Mariner twenty shares.
Other owners :-
Hugh Roberts, Shipbuilder Six shares
John Griffiths, Merchant Two shares.
Edward Roberts Farmer Four shares.
Richard Williams Blacksmith Two shares.
All the above of the Parish of Nevin.
Griffith Williams Farmer.- Four shares
Robert Hughes Farmer Two shares
Both of the Parish of Edern.
Owen Griffith Williams - Four
Richard Hughes Shopkeeper. Two
Evan Hughes Two.
All the above of the Parish of Tudweiliog.
Evan Williams Farmer-Four
Griffith Jones Farmer - Two
William Thomas Farmer Two
Hugh Evans Farmer Two.
All the above of the Parish of Penllech.
David Thomas Butcher Two
Parish of Denio.
Thomas Christian Sailmaker, Liverpool Four.
The Jane and Ellen was engaged in
carrying cargoes of slate from Caernarfon and Portdinorwig to ports all
over Britain and Ireland.
|David Parry (his youngest son)
Captain William Parry
On June 11th, 1853
whilst in Poole, Dorset her Captain William Parry fell between the vessel
and the dock side. He was buried at Longfleet but there is a memorial to
him in Fynwent Newydd, Nefyn.
Capt William Parry was married to
Catherine Griffiths of Plas Mawr, Nefyn, and a member of the well know
Griffiths family shipbuilders (see OJ Cowell)
William and Catherine Parry lived
at Tyn y Maes Nefyn and had three sons, John, William and David all of
whom became sea captains. David Parry the youngest took command of the
Jane and Ellen. He married Mary Griffiths of Penarfynydd, who was the
youngest daughter of Capt Griffith Griffiths Master of the schooner Vine.
Capt David Parry died suddenly in
July 1877, aged 43. He left a wife Mary, daughter Ann aged 6 and a son
William 18 months, they lived at Fair View, Y Maes, Nefyn. After the
sudden death of he husband Mary continued to run the schooner Jane and
Ellen and engaged Capt Henry Jones to take command of the vessel. In his
book Hen Longau Sir Gaernarfon (Old Ships of Caernarvonshire) David
Thomas mentions that Mary Parry was the only woman to manage a ship on her
own at that period in time. Thus from 1877, Mary Parry was the sole owner
of the Jane and Ellen. Sometime during 1890, her cargo of slate shifted
and she foundered off the coast of Abererch, but she managed to limp back
to Portdinorwig, and she was broken up in 1892.