Tyn y Graig is
situated on the ledge of a rocky shelf on Mynydd Rhiw below the church of
St Aelrhiw. The walls of un-coursed boulders are of one build with original
openings, and there are two tall square capped chimneys with drip ledges.
The slate roof is a replacement of former thatching. Cut into the face of
the east wall is an inscription ww1/1762. The SE room is separated from
the entrance passage by a wooden partition , mostly modern, but retaining
the original in and out work at the east end The dairy with loft over it
at the outer gable end is an unusual but original feature. The stair has
stone treads built in with the projecting wing. The attic storey has no
features of note.
Details of the plan
and quality of the woodwork suggest a date at the beginning of the 18th
century rather than earlier, but it is unlikely to be as late as the
inscription would suggest. William Williams, who lived in Plas yn Rhiw in
1776, owned the property at that time.
from the publication, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in
Caernarvonshire, Vol III: West, Royal Commission on the Ancient and
Historical Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire, 1964