The existing building
is T shaped in plan. The north block forming the cross-bar is modern, but
the stem, projecting to the south is a house of circa 1600, though much
altered. It is of three storeys, the lowest floor, now a cellar, being at
the lower ground level on the west side. The walls are boulder built, and
the roof of modern slates. On the east front all openings are modern as is
the dormer window; the gable, surmounted by a modern bell-cote, is
probably an addition. The west front has a boulder plinth 2 ft high; the
first floor windows (at main floor level) have been partly blocked though
there is one enlarged window, and three dormer windows are modern
additions. On the south gable is a tall square chimney-stack with drip
ledges and brick capping. The roof trusses and slates are modern. The
original north gable is over-sailed by the 19th century house,
but in the basement can be seen the base of a projecting chimneystack and
a continuation of the boulder plinth.
There are fireplaces
in the south gable at both the cellar and main floor levels. The former is
half blocked and its bressumer has a low shaped head. The beams and some
roughly chamfered joints are original. A cross wall has been inserted to
carry the gable of the newer house. The wide fireplace on the main floor
has also been largely blocked.
A fragmentary screen
door-head is inscribed AW 1616 and the house may be of that date, though
its appearance suggests the previous century.
AW was precentor of
Bangor Cathedral; 1621. His great grandson, John Williams, was Cromwellian
sheriff of Caernarvonshire (1658 –9). The house remained the seat of his
family until 1703.
Many thanks to Mrs G Thomas for the picture.