Parish Church of St Aelrhiw, stands on the eastern side of Rhiw mountain,
well to the north of the village. The building has boulder built walls and
a slate roof. The structure is of one build, probably in the 18th
century but on the footings of an earlier church, perhaps transeptal. The
present unusual plan is the same as that described in the earliest
terrier, of 1776. It consists of a small nave and a short chancel of equal
width, with relatively large transepts or aisles to N, and S. In the E.
and W. end walls are indications of earlier openings at a lower level. The
roof trusses and furnishing belong to extensive restoration in 1860-61.
Fittings; (1960) Chest: plain, inscribed 1715 / W / RH / WI; 18th
century. Memorial; slab, re-set against inner face of W. wall, to
Lowry, daughter of Thomas ap Richard of Bodwythog, 1674, also her husband
Frederick Wynne of Bobvean; above, a shield-of-arms, Collwyn ap Tangno
(for Wynne of Boduan), with crescent for difference, and a skull and
cross-bone. Plate; Silver cup, plain straight-sided bowl inscribed
‘Rhiw / This was provided by / Frederick Wynne Warden / Anno Dni 1672’;
maker’s mark GB and London date-letter for 1671-2; height 6 ins Pewter
flagon, inscribed ‘This was provided by Frederick Wyome (sic) for
the / Parish Church of Rhiw Anno Domini 1662’.
name ‘Aelrhiw’, Baring-Gould and Fisher, I, p. 112. The dedication
recorded by Browne Willis, A Survey of the Cathedral Church of Bangor
(London 1721), p. 274, to St. Eelrhyw or Delwfyw, may be compared with ‘Y
Ddelw Fyw’ (‘The Living Image’ or Holy Rood) of Mold, celebrated in 15th-century
verse. The feast of dedication given by Browne Willis (Sept. 9) is the
same in both cases. A church is known from ca. 1254, Valuation of
Norwich, pp. 190-1; in 1535, Valor Ecclesiasticus, IV, p. 420;
VI, pp. xiv, xviii, xxii, xxxiii, Hanes Eglwysi, p. 246. Previously
described, in 1858, by Glynne, Arch Camb., 1900, p. 320.
from the publication, An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Caernarvonshire,
Vol III: West, Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments in Wales
and Monmouthshire, 1964